Level Two Course
Participants should have completed the Level One String Course or have the approval of the instructor to enroll. The Level Two Course will cover more advanced repairs that you may be required to perform in your shop. We will go further in depth with cello and bass repair in addition to tackling advanced structural repairs. This course will be tailored to fit the needs of the students.
Students should contact the instructor to determine other areas of interest to be covered in addition to the subjects listed below. Students will be able to focus on areas of their own interest and more time will be spent on individualized instruction. Previous Level Two students may consider returning to concentrate on a specific aspect of repair.
All tools from String 1
are required and in addition, the following tools will be needed:
- Bass Bridge Fitter T7325
- Cello Bridget Fitter T732
- 6 Pc Chisels T510
- 6 Pc Carving Tools T537
- Joining Clamps T55
- Joining Clamps 54
- F Hole Clamp T945
- F Hole Clamp T845
- Cello End Pin Reamer T430 *
- Bass End Pin Reamer T44 *
* Items are optional but highly recommended and needed to perform repairs at your shop.
Subjects to be covered but not limited to will include the following:
For more information or to ask questions, contact:
- String bass and cello bridge fitting
- Installation of bridge jack screws in bass bridges
- Neck repair
- Rib repair
- Air brush for touch up work
- Removal of tops and back
- Advanced crack repair
- Cleats, patches, grafts
- Carbon fiber pinning
- Peg box repair
- Peg Bushings
- End pin fitting / Installation and repair
Lee Hirschmann: firstname.lastname@example.org
grew up in a very musical and mechanically inclined family. Since childhood, he knew that he wanted to build and repair musical instruments. For the last 15 years, he's built handmade guitars. In addition to his building and repair background, Lee has 13 years of music retail experience and has been playing music for over 20 years.
In 2007, Lee graduated from Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery and started Hirschmann's Guitar Repair, servicing instruments for private customers and many local music stores, studios and local music venues. In 2011, Lee graduated from Minnesota State College Southeast-Red Wing. After graduation, he worked at the Music & Arts refurb center in Frederick, MD. Then, in 2012, he managed the Brass, Woodwind & Orchestral String shop for Bill's Music House. In 2016, Lee left Bill's Music house to start a new business "The Band Shoppe".
Lee has been a proud and continuous member of NAPBIRT since 2012 serving as a clinician, mentor and instructor.
Safety glasses are required for all NAPBIRT University courses.
If you do not bring your own, we will provide them.
There are many lodging options in the Bloomington-Normal Area. The hotels listed below are within one mile of the Training Center. However, you are free to use your favorite website search engine or mobile phone app to find a hotel of your choice. (zipcode search: 61761)
- The closest airport is in Bloomington, IL. Airport Code: BMI
- There is a local Amtrak station in Normal, IL:
www.amtrak.com - Station code: BNL
- If you are flying into Chicago O'Hare or Midway airport and would like to get a bus shuttle, click on the following link:
Destination Selection: Normal: Amtrak Uptown Station
- Local Car Rental Information:
- Other Choices such as Taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc:
You are welcome to ship any packages prior to your arrival. Send them to:
2026 Eagle Rd
Normal, IL 61761
- All registrations are to be completed electronically using this website.
(We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express)
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You do not have to be a member of NAPBIRT to register. However, you will need to create an account with us in order to process your registration.
- If you are a current member, make sure you are logged into the system. Otherwise, you will end up re-typing a lot of information that would automatically be inserted into the registration form.
- If you are a previous member or you have attended a NAPBIRT clinic in the past, your name should already be in our database. Click Here to request your login information.
Seating is limited to 6 registrations.
* Scholarships are available for this course.
Click Here for details.
By registering for this event, I give my permission for NAPBIRT, Inc. to use, without limitation or obligations, photographs, film footage, or tape recordings which may include my image or voice for the purpose of promoting or interpreting NAPBIRT programs and services.
I waive all claims for damage and/or loss to my person or property which may be caused by an act, or failure to act of NAPBIRT, it's officers, directors, agents, or employees and the hosts and clinicians. I understand that there are inherent dangers in working with tools and repairing instruments and I assume the risk of all dangerous conditions in and about such clinics and waive any and all specific notice of the existence of such conditions.
Hand held audio recorders and still cameras are permitted providing that you do not disrupt the session and you
have the permission of the clinician. Video cameras and other similar equipment are not permitted without advance
written authorization from NAPBIRT.
Cellular phones and other electronic gadgets must be turned to OFF or SILENT during all scheduled events
including tours, meals, and clinics.
Our goal is the free exchange of ideas and techniques. Please remember that the clinicians are your colleagues:
feel free to ask questions and participate during clinics. Questions asked during clinics are often very valuable: be
respectful of those asking questions, whether they are new technicians or seasoned veterans. We would also ask
that you remember that there are different ways to achieve a desired end, and that not all technicians always agree
on the same techniques or tools. If you find yourself in a position in which you disagree with the clinician, we would
ask that you be respectful to the clinician and your fellow audience members and not be disruptive in the clinic.